Hello! My name is Dr. Kristin Talka and I am a NYS licensed psychologist who has been providing psychological services for about 20 years. I have worked in a number of settings (hospitals, outpatient centers, subacute treatment centers) with a diversity of populations (children, adults, couples, LGBTQ). These opportunities provided a wealth of learning experiences, over time coming to understand different human conditions and how to fully help individuals benefit from the psychotherapy process.
Ph.D., Counseling Psychology, May 2007
Department of Educational and Counseling Psychology
University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany, NY
Private Practice, Mid-Hudson Psychological Services, PLLC, Kingston, NY
Past Clinical Work History:
CHE Senior Psychological Services
July 2009-July 2012
- Provided individual and group psychotherapy services to sub acute rehabilitation and skilled nursing patients addressing issues of bereavement, chronic pain, loss of functioning, changes in cognitive functioning, and health/lifestyle changes.
- Consulted with treatment team providers including occupational therapy, physical therapy, nursing, recreational therapy and psychiatry with regard to behavioral interventions and treatment planning.
- Conducted neuropsychological assessment to assist with diagnosis and treatment planning with individuals presenting with dementia, seizure disorders, traumatic brain injury, stroke, and vascular related sequalae.
- Provided cognitive rehabilitation interventions to improve functioning with memory, orientation, attention/concentration, and executive functions.
Disability Claims Evaluator
April 2009-June 2009
Department of Health and Human Services, Augusta, ME
- Conducted psychological disability evaluations to determine claimant status for employment capacity.
- Reviewed ADLs, money management skills, cognitive, emotional, and social functioning.
June 2007-June 2009
WestSide Neurorehabilitation Services, Lewiston, ME
- Conducted comprehensive neuropsychological test batteries with adults and children. Reviewed medical records, conducted intake interviews, scored tests, interpretation, and write up. Provided feedback and recommendations.
- Provided individual and group psychotherapy to address various mental health and psychosocial issues as related to neurological changes post injury.
- Engaged clients in cognitive rehabilitation to address issues with attention, memory, concentration, and executive functioning.
- Provided substance abuse treatment and education to patients who actively use alcohol, illegal drugs, and tobacco.
- Developed and initiated a family/caregiver support group to address issues of brain injury education, coping skills, behavioral interventions, and acceptance.
- Assisted with occupational therapy, speech therapy, and physical therapy services as needed. Worked collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team and provided consultation.
Perna, R. B., Loughan. A.R., & Talka, K.M. (2012). Executive functioning and adaptive living skills after acquired brain injury.
Journal of Applied Neuropsychology.
Talka, K.M. & Perna, R.B. (2008). Does chronic pain affect neurorehabilitation and vocational status in individuals with ABI? In R. McCaffrey (Ed.), The National Academy of Neuropsychology Conference: Vol. 23. Archives of clinical neuropsychology (pp.696). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
Perna, R.B. & Talka, K.M. (2007). Treatment of anger management problems following acquired brain injury. Brainstorm. Brain Injury Association of Maine.
Santiago-Rivera, A.L., Talka, K.M., & Tully, A.W. (2006). Environmental racism: A call to the profession for community intervention and social action. In R.L.Toporek, N.A. Fouad, T. Israel, L.H. Gerstein, & G.Roysicar-Sodowsky (Eds.), Handbook for social justice in counseling psychology: Leadership, vision, and action (pp.185-199). Sage Publications.
• New York State Psychological Association
• Hudson Valley Psychological Association
Council Representative: March 2011-December 2013